Saturday, April 25, 2009

earth day

At the risk of sounding like a tree-hugging hippie, I have to get something off my chest.

One of the biggest downfalls of man, I think, is to get to the point where he feels entitled to things. "I've worked hard, so I deserve to be irresponsible."

But take a simple example: one works hard doing X, and does well. And in doing so, he feels like he has a right to purchase this amalgam of aluminum, rubber, wood, leather, extracted from all over the earth, and assembled into a large oil-consuming machine. Is it just me, or does this seem extremely disproportionate? What did he possibly do to have this sense of entitlement so as to take from the creation whatever he pleases for his enjoyment, without at least acknowledging that it is indeed a gift? We're all guilty, but most have lost that sense of guilt.

Perhaps people don't think about the environment too much for whatever reason. But I believe that being responsible with what isn't ultimately mine is not only an indication of good character, but in a way, it is ultimately partaking in divine work.

No comments: