Wednesday, February 25, 2009

you're not that important

I noticed lately that I've been attached to the hip to my cell phone. I'm constantly checking for messages, voicemails, and missed calls, while on my laptop constantly clicking the rainbow-colored Gmail logo to see if anyone has sent me an e-mail in the past .23 seconds that Gmail maybe didn't get a chance to update. Meanwhile, I shift over to the facebook tab on Mozilla to see whether anyone has sent me a message, poked me, wrote on my wall, or sent me an invite to a group/event that I can reject/ignore/delete. One more shift on the tabs leads me to my school's e-mail, which I need to check at least hourly, just so I can see if a professor has sent me a reading assignment that I won't do that night.

Clearly, I am sick. I am not even remotely important enough to be constantly connected, nor do I ever want to be. It sometimes amazes me how people used to live before this information age. Can you imagine - families actually had to talk to each other...in person?! What?!

So this is a promise, really. For lent, in order to heal this paralyzing disease, I am going to available less. A lot less, at least in electronic format. Now before all two of you get severely depressed as a result of not interacting with me for extended periods of time (days!), just know that it's for the better.

1 comment:

HL7 said...

You won't last. Answer my text.