Saturday, February 14, 2009

altruism?

Over the years, I have found myself becoming less and less convinced with the idea of altruism. Selflessness is, if it exists in the human race, an extremely rare occurrence.

The false Christian often prides himself for doing a good act that returns to him nothing but a "thanks" and a great "feeling". Perhaps he even did the kind act in private, so that he does not receive outside praise. Good for him. But he still gets that good "feeling" in return. And thus one must ask, am I truly being selfless, or am I acting in a way similar to those who enjoy the pleasures of the world (but on a slightly higher level)? Indeed, a pagan can go to Ethiopia and feed African babies all day, and while this is definitely a good act, I'm not quite prepared to call it a selfless one.

Today being Valentine's Day, I can't help but criticize even the truest human love. Even this has become a selfish ideal, especially in today's society. I don't think I've ever witnessed a love that was truly unconditional, and thus truly selfless.

I am reminded of an episode of FRIENDS that brings up the point: "there's no such thing as a selfless good deed". While I do agree that such deeds are exceedingly rare in the human race, I can't agree that it does not exist at all. John 3:16 is the obvious Christian response to the notion that no selfless good deed can exist. Only One who has absolutely nothing to gain and absolutely everything to lose can fall in the true definition of altruism.

I have searched and searched, and I have failed to come up with an example, in my own life at least, of a truly altruistic act. Perhaps one day I'll find one.

No comments: