Wednesday, November 12, 2008

as if a glass could contain the sea

I've been guilty lately of trying to analyze my life through the lens of the earthly eye. It hasn't been working very well for me. Here are some alternate views on the topic:

For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.
--God.

It's like the sun swallowed up by the earth
like atomic bombs in reverse
as if a glass could contain the sea...
--The Afters

A puddle repeats infinity, and is full of light; nevertheless, if analyzed objectively, a puddle is a piece of dirty water spread very thin on mud. The two great historic universities of England have all this large and level and reflective brilliance. Nevertheless, or, rather, on the other hand, they are puddles--puddles, puddles, puddles, puddles.
--Chesterton

While we are encouraged to reflect on the infinite, we should never expect to fully grasp it. I believe the same concept carries into the reflection on one's life.

No comments: